"Every child is a winner when they try their best"
Ms A Harpur
Mr L Kearney
At Ballycastle High School we are committed to developing lifelong performers in a wide range of sporting activities and in promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. We try to provide pupils with an opportunity to achieve a sense of achievement in a wide range of activities. We want to provide moments of inspiration and enjoyment that will remain with them when they leave BHS.
As a department, we aim to provide a challenging, disciplined and safe environment for high quality learning and teaching. Pupils should experience a balance of activities which has the necessary coherence and breadth to develop the Curriculum.
Progression should be obvious as the pupil passes through key stage 2 to 3 with an extended choice of activity in key stage 4 to ensure the pupil is offered a motivating and relevant school choice in PE.
As a further extension, examination PE is also offered at GCSE, AS and Advanced Level. We also offer BTec Level 2 First Award in Sport and BTec Level 3 Sport subsidiary diploma.
The aim of the PE department in BHS is:
- to increase their knowledge, understanding and skills through frequent and regular participation in a balanced programme of Athletics, Games (invasion, fielding/striking and net/wall), Gymnastics, Dance and Outdoor Education (optional);
- to practise, refine and develop skills and specific techniques (eg. using strategies, tactics, choreographic and/or compositional principles) and use these with consistency;
- to experience, monitor and understand a range of short-term effects of exercise on the body systems including cardiovascular and muscular-skeletal systems;
- to monitor and evaluate their own activity levels over a period of time and plan how they can fulfil the activity recommendations for health;
- to develop their knowledge of safe practices and procedures when taking part in sport and physical activity
- to develop the skills and capabilities required to analyse and improve their own and others’ work
• to develop the skills and capabilities required to work effectively with others in tasks which require co-operation, creativity, problem solving, planning and team work.
- Next >>